In Germany, the main providers of mobile service are Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone and O2/E-Plus) They offer contracts with a minimum term of 12 to 24 months. However, there is an alternative: many students prefer prepaid cards available from many low-cost competitors, such as Aldi-Talk (available at Aldi supermarkets). You should also compare prices, since special offers are common.
ESN Heidelberg offers you a free prepaid SIM card by Student mobile. These SIM cards come with a free EUR 7.50 balance that you can directly use. . Drop by at our weekly pub night (Mondays, 9 pm @ Gunnars) to claim yours or get in touch with us directly.
Student Mobile SIM Cards
We are working together with Student Mobile (powered by Ortel Mobile) to provide you a comfortable, easy and cheap option to start using your mobile phone right away.
- free registration, no contract
- 7,50 Euro for free
- 5 Euro/month and you can call each other with no additional costs
- Registration is free and possible during our enrollment at the university. There is no contract, so even if you decide not to use the card later, you should register it - you will get 7,50 Euro for free.
- No monthly fees
- SMS Message 19 cent
- Call inside Germany: 9 Cent/Minute + 9 Cent connection fee (no connection fee if one of the following packages is booked).
Additionally you can book the following packages (packages are booked via SMS message to the numer 77300)
- Student Mobile / E-Plus Flat (send the word EPLUS to 77300)
5€/ 30 days: Unlimited calls to other student mobile and E-Plus users (so you can call each other for free!)
- Internet Flat 1GB (send the word DATA1000 to 77300)
- 9,90€/ 30 days: 1 GB Internet High Speed Flat, after 1 GB speed reduction to GPRS
- Smart Option (send the word SMART to 77300)
12,90€ / 30 days: 100 min and 100 SMS for free in all german networks + other countries, 300 MB Internet Flat
- Premium Option (send the word PREMIUM to 77300)
19,90 Euro / 30 days: 500 min for free in all german networks + other countries, 500 MB Internet Flat, unlimited calls to other student mobile and E-Plus users (so you can call each other for free!)
All packages are valid for 30 days.
Which package should I take?
Depending on your personal communication style and your mobile phone. The most flexible one might be the Smart Option, which you can extend with Student Mobile / E-Plus Flat if you are very talkative .
How to put money on my card?
Credit is available in many stores and gas stations, you can use the calltime credit cards for E-PLUS or Ortel.
To activate the card / charge your account, type: *104*16-digit-number# Call-Button
To check your account, type: *100# Call-Button
The content above is only a summary of the tariff options. For further tariff details (for example you can buy more data volume), support hotline and binding information check the following PDFs of Student Mobile. ESN Heidelberg provides only the SIM Cards, responsible partner is the Student Mobile GmbH.